Dominican Republic

Dominican Republic

Monday, December 1, 2014

I'll Give You Allllll of Me!


No, I haven't gotten the most recent package. There could be a few reasons for that. First, i live far from the capital, where the mission office is, and where the package goes to. And it costs a lot to travel from there to here, in my area. But at the most, i should get it at the next zone meeting which is ... next week? i think ... or this thursday. We'll see :) 

Also, for uncle John, I am in Hato Mayor. it's a new area for hermanas. i am one of the first and my companion was the first in this area for hermanas. it's been about ... 30 years since there were hermanas here I think. So I'm blessed, to say the least.

By the way, do you mind sending me a simple easy recipe for Haupia? i now it's simple and easy to make, and it doesn't need much, so we are going to have like a potluck thing in our district and everyone is going to make something from their own country. So it would be cool to make Haupia :) 

And last, there is a program that is called "La Dadiva" or I believe in english it's "The Gift" or something like that. Anyway, it's a world wide church program and us missionaries are supposed to ask the members in the area to view a video and share it with everyone through the media. it's a beautiful video. Then, the members are supposed to try and bring friends and family (nonmembers) to church every sunday until Christmas (at least) not only to celebrate Christmas, but to invite others to come unto Christ and worship Him. So, a challenge for you, my family and friends. I think it's on the church website, but watch the video, "La Dadiva" or "The Gift," share it in social media, and invite someone, every week, to accompany you to church to celebrate la dadiva. The goal is to have more investigators in the church and to invite others to come unto Christ in this simple way, through christmas. And why not? this is probably the most easiest time to share the gospel because everyone knows about christmas. this is also a great way for members and missionaries to work together. 

So as for the title of this. "I'll give you all of me." Okay, yeah, i know it's a love song by john legend, but let me relate it to missionary work :) i'm learning here in the mission just how hard it is sometimes to focus on the work. Mentally especially. My companion and I are working on focusing our thoughts more in the work, but it's so hard. like, for example, we think of home sometimes, or songs, or family, or friends, or movies. Stuff that isn't bad. In fact, it's very good. good stuff to think about. but in 1 Nephi, Nephi talks about how there are so many things to write about, but he will only focus on the things that are of the lord and of the most importance because he doesn't have enough space in the plates to write every detail. In the mission, I have. Or, in life, we have plates. We have things to focus on. everything is good and everything is important. Don't get me wrong. But our plates are limited. What are we going to focus on? What will we fill our plates with? TV? service? family time? in the mission, my plates are limited. so me and hermana maltos are trying to focus our thoughts on the things that are most important in the mission. and that is the work. and trying to do that is so hard .... sooooo hard. lol. but, we are trying. So, as for the title, i'm trying to give my all to christ and his work. 

So, the work here is progressing. A lot! And quite quickly too. I'm learning that english is so hard to learn. goodness, who made all the rules? i'm trying to help my companion learn english and wow, we have so many rules. This upcoming week, we have 2 baptisms. we have Moises, 18, and henry, who will be 21 on the 5 of Dec. we are so excited and stoked! Maybe I'll write you the story of what happened with Henry. It was quite a miracle and a witness that the Holy Ghost testifies and that the Lord works in his own time. the work is rough and yet easy all in one. I can't really describe too much of the mission life. you'll have to do it yourself to figure out what i mean lol but I can honestly say that I don't regret a moment. 

As for now, let me answer a few questions and say a few things. Ammon, congrats on finishing your college application! how was that? Good I hope :) can you send me your email please so that i can try and email you? Or mom, can you do it lol. Alliyah, perfectionist, great job in school! keep up the good work and many opportunities will be opened for you. but don't forget to play and to have fun too! And try not to worry too much. Alana, wow, you keep singing ... maybe one day, you can be in the drama club :) lol nah, I miss singing with you! When I get home, we are going to have a jam sesh. Mom, bien hecho con Hermana Nozawa! Good job with sister Nozawa! or ms. haha it's natural to say Hermana. But she's ending teaching? What?! And tell Justin and Charlene congrats for me and i wish I could hold their baby! Or maybe you can hold the baby for me? here it's interesting. Neighbors and family both help take care of the baby. We could be teaching a lesson to a lady with a baby and this random guy walks up and takes the baby and plays with him. When we ask if he's her brother, she just says no it's my neighbor ... honestly, it's a kakou thing. Always. And dad. Yes i actually have a microwave that works! woo hoo! So i can pop popcorn (which I have been doing, :) and the biggest university is in the city, which is about 2-3 hours away from here. So yes, people travel there and back every day. And it's not cheap either. But there are other smaller colleges, but I've had people tell me that sometimes the professors don't show up or don't teach anything. So it's hard for people to go to college and work at the same time. As for bikes, I'd rather not chance the roads. There aren't really traffic rules and there are tons of motorcycles. Those are the taxis here. But i'm pretty sure that Dominicans are some of the most talented and vigilent drivers ever. that, i have no doubt. but they are also the most craziest drivers lol. And for those reasons, we walk everywhere :) 

As for the language, I speak a lot better than I did on day one, thanks to my companion and time here. It's a little rought because with hermana maltos and Hermana fletcher, both are ... fair skinned. So with each, always, siempre siempre siempre, people will come up to me and start talking to me in spanish and talk to them in english (if they can). So i get where Jarom comes from. It's hard. But, I know I'll speak better every month if i work on it and trust in the gift of tongues. 

That's about all for now. Thank you for your emails, love, and support! love you all and thank you so much for the opportunity for me to be a member my entire life. didn't realize what a blessing that is. Thanks mom and dad. And thanks siblings for helping me to stay in the church and helping me get to where i am today. i couldn't have done it without all of you! love you all and be safe! And don't forget la dadiva and the true meaning of christmas this month :)

Love y aloha,
Hermana Ho

No comments:

Post a Comment